Step 1: Review the ANA’s Statement on workplace violence for nurses
Download ANA’s Statement on workplace violence for nurses
- As well as the ANA webpage on workplace violence.
- Note the different types of workplace violence and the variation in state level legislation regarding this topic.
Step 2: Research your Pennsylvania state laws regarding nurse assault
- By visiting the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) website (Links to an external site.) for your state’s Nurse Practice Act.
Step 3: Address the following questions in a forum prompt:
- What are the main ideas of the ANA regarding nurses and workplace violence?
- Identify your state and describe your state’s laws regarding nurse assault.
- Is there a legal penalty in your state for assaulting a nurse? What is that penalty?
- Explain why that penalty is a good preventative measure or why it is not. Provide details to substantiate your stance on the penalty.
- Reflect upon your workplace experience.
- How does the nurse’s role includes practices that help to ensure a secure workplace?
- What security interventions are in place to protect you and your patients?
- What additional interventions might be enacted to make it even safer?