Your client is an IT company specializing in devices for people with disabilities. Based in the US, it employs 25 people and sells its products mainly in North America. During its first 5-years, the company has experienced rapid growth, but last year’s financials have shown some decline in sales.
The sales department has recently identified an opportunity for entry into the Chinese and Latin-American markets. As a result, the management team has approved a set of strategic projects to enable that purpose. One of the projects being launched is the development of a multi-language website platform to enable online purchases of the company products. With that purpose, your team has been hired to manage the project. You have been asked to submit a project plan in the next few weeks that is efficient (you were told by a Vice President that this project needs to be done ‘yesterday’) and for the smallest budget possible.
The management team has approved up to $45K for the project, but you have been asked to bring it in under budget if possible. Your team will gather the necessary information to define a robust project plan. Area of Focus Project Scope of Work (SOW) – define the parameters of the work to be done. The scope should outline what will be done, the deliverables of the project and how the work will be done.
• Work breakdown structure – create the specific tasks and subtasks for each part of the project
• Project schedule – add time elements for each of the project activities and sequencing the implementation
• Resources – what resources are needed for each task, including any special skills necessary to complete specific project tasks
• Budget – specify the budget, including an approximate cost of the entire project
• Procurement -vendors or subcontracting needed for the project
• Quality plan – quality assessment criteria will be used for the project
• Communication plan – communication strategy for all project stakeholders, including synchronous and asynchronous communication for people on and off site.
• Risk Management plan – assessing possible risk and contingency plans if needed
The main problem in this project example is the lack of an intranet in the business and that is why the firm is facing many challenges. The only way to overcome these challenges is through the installation of an intranet in the businesses that will provide massive solutions for the business (Aston, 2017). The intranet is a type of computerized software that serves as a central hub of discussions, information, knowledge sharing and activities that makes it an important resource for the functioning of a business.
The implementation of the company’s intranet tool will be a very important vice in increasing the firm’s productivity and operations thus leading to business expansion and revenue increment (Weller, 2018).Once installation has taken place, the intranet will be beneficial to the business as follows: Communication and employee engagement will be improved, employees will able to find a central point where they can obtain solutions to different problems, it will be able to address many departmental problems, it will promote employees culture and the values of the company and finally it will be the main platform for company introductions, onboarding and trainings for new employees